It’s easy for business owners or bloggers to think that choosing a WordPress theme is as simple as clicking “install” and letting the magic happen. However, with over 30000+ free themes available for download, you might get a little frustrated with the process. For instance, you may have already done some intense research on Reddit, Quora, blogs, or binge-watched YouTube videos in search of the perfect theme to start making money blogging. And we are sure that research has taken you ages but you still can’t find something right for your business.
So how do you find something truly perfect that will work well with your existing setup? That’s why we’re here: to save you time (and maybe even money) by helping you identify the best free WordPress themes.
Best Free WordPress Themes
In this post, we are going to help you pick the right WordPress themes by providing a value-packed list of popular ones that work. We’ll list some of our favorite themes based on their popularity, ease of use, and compatibility with other plugins and configurations.
So whatever you’re looking for to design your WordPress blog, we’ve got exactly what you need right here.
If you’re looking for the best free WordPress themes for blogs then Kadence is for you. This WordPress theme is versatile, functional, and easy to use. It’s a product of the Kadence theme shop, which is a multipurpose WordPress theme that can be downloaded for free or unlocked for even more possibilities with the pro version.
But that’s not all Kadence has to offer. The Kadence theme shop also boasts four other themes and a robust collection of plugins, including the highly acclaimed Kadence Blocks. This powerful page builder plugin expands the capabilities of WordPress’s Gutenberg editor, allowing for even more creative expression in website design.
With both free and pro versions available for both the Kadence theme and Kadence Blocks, there’s no better time to try out Kadence theme for your website design needs.
- Integrates with popular page builders plugins such as Elementor and Beaver Builder.
- The Kadence theme shop has accessibility standards ( WCAG 2.0 standards, keyboard Navigation, aria labels, and focus control).
- It comes with an easy drag-and-drop website-building interface with adaptable and fully customizable layouts.
- Access to a library of templates that can be easily modified using color and global font controls.
- It has an advanced header and footer builder.
- The infinite scroll.
- It’s ser-oriented with multiple features and extra plugins for a clean modern design.
- The free edition is good enough to get started.
- Get a free header/footer builder.
- Mobile-friendly interface.
- Its Lightweight theme and high-performance optimization.
- Works seamlessly with Gutenberg and Elementor
- Has WooCommerce add-ons
- Lacks the white label option.
- Confusing pricing plans ( pro version, pro blocks, bundles, add-ons, etc).
- The branding too is confusing( Kadence themes, Kadence WP, Kadence blocks, etc)
- Not so many starter templates.
Blocksy is a popular WordPress theme that offers users a range of features and customization options. If you’re a first-time user, you’ll appreciate the theme’s simplicity and intuitive interface. You don’t need any coding experience to get started, and you can customize your site using a range of widgets, templates, and post types. Additionally, Blocksy is compatible with the Gutenberg WordPress editor, which makes it easy to create visually appealing content for your blog.
For experienced WordPress users, Blocksy offers advanced customization options and a wide range of widgets and shortcodes to choose from. This allows you to create a site that’s tailored to your specific needs. Additionally, Blocksy is compatible with the latest version of WordPress, so you can take advantage of the latest features and functionality.
- Blocksy has Gutenberg editor users in mind
- Provides access to a global color palette with five colors. This includes headings, titles, hover, and para text.
- Light and dark mode viewing options.
- Custom widgets can be used to display custom content on any page, post, or category.
- Fully integrated with WooCommerce.
- Comes with advanced header builder elements. These include a language switcher, contacts element, desktop menu drawer, search box, and widgets.
- Access mega menus and dropdowns with any content.
- Blocksy is one of the fastest WordPress themes available.
- Has a clean code, making it completely search engine optimized.
- Translation ready to allow users to switch languages
- Access to Google Analytics, making it easy to keep track of visitors and pageviews to social media analytics.
- Regular updates.
- WooCommerce extra available
- A conditional Header, Footer Builder.
- Great for use together with Gutenberg and Page Builders.
- Hundreds of beautiful Starter Sites.
- It’s lightweight, resulting in quick page load times.
- The free version of the theme is limited in terms of functionality.
- The cost of the theme’s premium option is slightly higher than the competing themes’ prices.
- Blocksy can be overwhelming for beginners, who may not know what to do or where to start when faced with so many customization options.
Astra is a popular free WordPress theme that’s fast, lightweight, and customizable. Downloading Astra It’s like driving a sports car on the open road – you get the speed and agility you need to navigate through the web with ease. And the best part is, Astra has a loyal fan base of over 5000+ reviewers who have given it an impressive 5-star rating on their official website. So you know you’re getting a quality product that’s been tried and tested by real businesses like CloudWays hosting to tell an awesome story about them here.
People love Astra because it’s easy to use and customize, even if you’re not a coding expert. Plus, it’s one of the fast WordPress themes which means your website will load quickly and keep your visitors engaged. So why settle for a sluggish website when you could have the high-performance Astra powering your online presence?
- Customizable design with 180+ pre-designed templates and layouts that you can customize to suit your needs.
- WooCommerce compatibility if you plan to set up an online store.
- Accessibility-ready: Astra Themes is fully accessible, making it easy for people with disabilities to use your website.
- Seamless compatibility with popular page builders like Divi, Elementor, visual composer, Beaver, Site Origin, etc.
- Responsive design that will look great on any device, from desktops to smartphones.
- Translation-ready to create a multilingual website.
- The theme offers a free version, making it easy for users to download and try out.
- Its lightweight theme delivers better performance for websites.
- Highly customizable, allowing you to stay on brand.
- SEO-friendly, to help improve your website’s visibility on search engines.
- Easy to use interface, especially for beginners.
- Regular updates to add new cool enhancements and keep your site safe.
- Beginners might feel lost in the ocean of customization options.
- Astra support is quite slow compared to other WordPress theme providers.
If you have been seriously searching for a great WordPress theme you must have heard of the OceanWP WordPress theme. It’s been making waves with over 700,000 websites already using it and an average rating of 4.8 from nearly 2,000 reviews. That’s pretty impressive, right? Well, it’s no surprise when you see what OceanWP has to offer. With its modern design, lightning-fast speed, and compatibility with any page builder, OceanWP is a top contender for anyone looking to create a stunning website.
Plus, it’s packed with features that are perfect for e-commerce websites. So, whether you’re a blogger, business owner, or just someone looking to build a website, OceanWP has got you covered. Try it today and see for yourself why it’s such a popular choice.
- One-click hosting of Google fonts locally
- PHP codes support for Ocean Hooks
- New advanced filter for Ocean Portfolio
- Enhanced accessibility (code-wise)
- Use locally-hosted Google fonts with Elementor
- Instant OceanWP Child Theme installation
- Allows SVG files support for media library
- “Make column clickable” option for Elementor (part of Ocean Elementor Widgets)
- Revamped Out-of-the-box Magazine widgets (Ocean Elementor Widgets)
- Block editor support for OceanWP Templates (My Library)
- Block editor support for Ocean Hooks
- Reduced dependency on third-party plugins
- More user control over features and options (disable unwanted features)
- It follows SEO best practices and is developer friendly.
- Woocommerce is ready and has tons of features to enhance its functionality.
- Adjust to all screen sizes ( mobile and desktop devices ).
- Has multiple customization options.
- OceanWP is optimized for fast loading times, which can help improve user experience.
- OceanWP is a multipurpose theme. So it can be used for a wide range of websites, including e-commerce sites, blogs, portfolios, and more.
- Limited Free Features: While OceanWP is free to download, many of its advanced features require a paid extension or add-on.
- Complexity: OceanWP can take some time to learn how to use all the features and get the desired results.
Generate Press is one of the most downloaded WordPress themes of all time ( 500,000+ downloads ) and with good reason.
It’s perfect for business websites, eCommerce websites, and bloggers alike. It’s easy to use and customize, and it comes with tons of built-in features that make it easy to get your site up and running in no time at all.
The Generate Press theme comes in two versions: free and premium ($59/year or $249 lifetime). However, the free version includes everything you need to get started right away.
But if you want access to advanced features like WooCommerce support (for selling products) you’ll need to upgrade to premium.
- Translated into 25 languages
- Special attention to performance optimization and clean code
- WooCommerce integration
- Has 80+ Importable Demo Sites (GeneratePress Templates)
- It’s a multipurpose theme -perfect for business, e-commerce stores, personal blogs, and much more.
- Has flexible page-level control.
- Perfect for multilingual sites
- Compatible with other WordPress extensions like WordPress caching
- Affordable pricing
- Wide variety of highly customizable templates to choose from
- Some features require a premium version, for example, GeneratePress doesn’t offer any pre-built importable demo sites to freemium users.
- It lacks integrations for LMS plugins such as LearnDash or LifterLMS that a theme like Astra offers.
Neve is a flexible, and customizable WordPress theme. So if you’re planning an overhaul of your website you will be thrilled with the results. The support team at ThemeIsle is also incredibly helpful whenever questions or issues arise.
Neve’s speed is one of its standout features, thanks to its lightweight code and smart design choices. Plus, the range of customization options meant we could tailor our site to our brand and needs. Whether you’re creating a blog or an online store, Neve has everything you need. And with integrations for plugins like WooCommerce and Gravity Forms, advanced functionality is easy to add.
- Custom Design of Header and Footer
- You have full control of the Website Layout Options
- Global color palettes to create consistent designs across your site.
- 100+ Ready to Import, Starter Sites.
- Allows seamless integration with Gutenberg and page builders: Elementor, Brizy, Beaver Builder, Visual Composer, SiteOrigin, and Divi Builder.
- Neve comes with an SEO-ready structure.
- It’s fast and lightweight to take your user experience to the next level.
- Flexible and easy-to-use interface for novices and developers.
- Easy setup and sleek designs that aligns with your brand
- Reliable updates to fix bugs and add extra cool features.
- Quality code and full support.
- Compatibility with APM. Neve makes your website render as Google Search’s native Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), which will keep you in the search engine’s good graces.
- Support isn’t always available to as many users as 24/7/365.
- The free version is limited in terms of customization options.
Sydney Theme is a top-rated WordPress freemium theme that provides all the necessary features and options to help you create a professional-looking website. The theme is fully compatible with the Elementor website builder, allowing you to create a custom design that perfectly fits your brand. Whether you’re a blogger, freelancer, or business owner, Sydney Theme offers a range of custom blocks and features to your needs. For instance, you can use its parallax backgrounds and Google Fonts support to create an engaging website that stands out from the rest.
- Fully responsive design: meaning it will look great on any device, including desktops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Clean layout that is easy to navigate and provides a great user experience.
- Fully compatible with ElementorSydney works seamlessly with Elementor, one of the most popular page builders for WordPress.
- Custom Elementor block that allows you to add dynamic content to your pages easily.
- Advanced theme options panel that allows you to customize your website’s design and functionality easily.
- Parallax backgrounds can help make your website more visually engaging.
- Google Fonts access allows you to have a wide range of fonts to choose from.
- Hero section, so you can create a visually appealing and attention-grabbing introduction to your website.
- Translation ready which means you can easily translate your website into different languages.
- Social sharing option to easily share your content on social media.
- A free version that includes many of its features, making it a great choice for those on a budget.
- Websites built with the Sydney theme can be used for a variety of purposes.
- There is a completely free version available.
- You can customize every aspect of the theme.
- It integrates seamlessly with Elementor.
- This theme is regularly updated, so it always works with the latest WordPress version.
- The free version has limited customization options.
- The pro version is pricey compared to competitors.
Zakra is one of the few best free WordPress themes for business. It can cater to your unique needs while still looking modern and stylish. You can take advantage of a range of demos, so you can easily find one that suits your industry or business.
But it’s not just about looks – the theme is easy to use, even for those who aren’t coding experts. With its user-friendly interface and intuitive features, creating a professional-looking website has never been easier. So why settle for a bland, cookie-cutter theme when you can choose Zakra and make a statement?
- It’s SEO-friendly to ensure profitable visibility on search engines.
- The theme code is regularly updated so that the site loads faster
- Ecommerce ready.For instance, woo commerce integration.
- Multiple customization options using Zakra’s Customizer and Individual Page Settings.
- More than 50 innovative demos for any kind of website.
- One-click Demo Import with free pre-built demos accessible with a single click.
- 7+ widget areas from header to footer.
- Boxed and Wide Layouts
- Major Browser Compatible: Zakra is tested with all major browsers.
- Translation Ready: Translate the theme easily into your native language.
- Zakra integrates with popular page builder plugins like Elementor, Brizy, etc.
- Advanced Typography: For instance, font family, variant, font size, etc. are available.
- Zakra 24/7 free support to freemium whereas Pro users get special support through emails and support schemes
- Access to cutting-edge professional starter templates.
- 100% responsive on devices.
- SEO friendly
- Easy customization
- Less several starter templates.
What Are WordPress Themes?
A WordPress theme is a collection of files or templates that determine the visual layout of your website. These templates control design elements of your site like color, fonts, and page layouts. It’s also worth mentioning the WordPress theme store accommodates everyone. Once you’re on your WordPress dashboard you can have access to thousands of free ones available for instant download, but if you’d rather have a premium theme, there are plenty of paid options as well.
WordPress also has a theme for every type of site you can imagine. For example personal blogs, corporate sites, e-commerce stores, and online learning platforms themes like Eduma.
Despite the diversity in these free WordPress themes, they all give you the same tools to create an amazing experience for your users.
The best part about using WordPress themes is that they’re super easy to install. All you have to do is download them from your dashboard and then activate them so they’ll appear as an option whenever you create new pages or posts. Easy peasy!
How to Choose the Best Free WordPress Themes?
Choosing the right free WordPress theme for your website is like choosing the perfect outfit for your best friend’s wedding.
So the same way you would like your outfit to make a statement about you, your website’s design also makes a statement about your brand. The right theme can make your site look professional and function seamlessly, just like how a well-fitting outfit can make you feel confident and put together. Here are some factors when selecting a free WordPress theme to ensure that your website is dressed to impress:
- Design: Look for a theme with a design that fits your industry or niche. Ensure it’s visually appealing, easy to navigate, and compatible with the latest web design standards.
- Performance: Choose a theme that’s lightweight and fast loading. When a website has slow load times, it can negatively impact your website’s SEO and user experience so settle for a lightweight theme that’s optimized for speed.
- Multiple features: Look for themes that offer the features you need for your website. Consider things like responsive design, page templates, WooCommerce compatibility, and translation support.
- Customization: Lean towards themes that offer drag-and-drop page builders, theme options panels, and customization options for fonts, colors, and layouts.
- Support: Your choice should have good support options, such as documentation, forums, and customer support. This can be crucial if you encounter any issues or need help customizing your theme.
Are any WordPress themes free?
Yes, the official WordPress repository has a large collection of free themes that can be easily downloaded and installed on your website.
Most creators will offer you a free theme in the form of a free version or freemium. These free options often have limited features and customization options but good enough to get you started.
PS: Note that just because a theme is free doesn’t necessarily mean it’s of poor quality. There are many high-quality free themes available that are regularly updated and well-supported by their developers.
Should I use free or paid WordPress themes？
The answer to this solely lies in your individual needs, budget, and branding preferences. However, free WordPress themes are a good option for those who are just starting out and with a new idea.
They are affordable and easily accessible especially if you want to create just a basic website. But most of them lack the features and customization options of premium themes, and may not be as secure or reliable as paid themes in some cases.
On the other hand, premium WordPress themes will offer you more customization options and are usually more secure and reliable. Unfortunately, they may not be suitable for those who are just starting out or with a limited budget.
Whatever option you opt for, ensure it works in your best interest.
We’ve now explored some of the best free WordPress themes available for you to use on your website. By following this guide and the tips we’ve provided, you can enhance the look and functionality of your website, without breaking the bank.
We also hope you’ve enjoyed this list and chosen the perfect theme for your website. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please leave them in the comments below. And if you found this article useful, don’t forget to share it with your friends and colleagues.